Re: ABOUT DIAL-IN SERVER AND PPP HOWTO

On 19 Feb, rado66 wrote:
> IT'S A VERY  BAD THAT THERE IS NOT  "DIAL-IN SERVER HOWTO" ,and "PPP  HOWTO"
> IS TOO OBSOLETE.
> SHAME ON YOU!!!!

Well - guess what - if you would care to (politely) suggest some
additions and even maybe provide some text or really useful suggestions
(as opposed to being just plain obnoxious), I (as the author) would be
happy to consider including this in the rewrite I am working on.

> "DIAL- IN SERVER HOWTO" MUST CONTAIN
>
> 1. SETTING SERIAL PORTS

Already does

> 2. MGETTY WITH  AUTO-PPP   AND PAP

See the mgetty documentation!

> 3. /ETC/PPP/OPTIONS , OPTIONS.TTYSx  PAP-SECRETS ,ETC.

Already does

> 4.USER SHELLS  WHEN THEY LOG TO ISP

Excuse me - this is the PPP howto you are talking about, for that sort
of information consult the SAG. A discussion of user shells is not
appropriate in the PPP howto.

> IN PPP HOWTO  IS PRESENT VERY,VERY BADLY WAY TO SET PPP SERVER .IT'S A WAY
> FROM 1962 YEAR????

Nope - it provides what is VERY CLEARLY stated to be a BASIC Linux PPP
server set up - one that does NOT depend on any additional software
(such as Mgetty). If you want to use Mgetty, read the docs for that
piece of software.

--
Robert Hart                                             hartr@redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc (California Office)