Re: Using SGML

On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 07:40:27PM +0100, Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Vern Hoxie wrote:
>
> > Now that I have sgml-tools.1.15 running, how do I get it to work?
> >
> > The problem, an excerpt from my document reads:

[Presented an excerpt containing fragments of C-code with requirements
that the code be indented and be in typewriter font except that
certain parameters are in italics.]

> linuxdoc is not really cable of handling complex matters like this one. For
> that you need DocBook and therefor sgmltools v2. or a similar solutions.
>
> Also note that sgml is NOT about setting fonts but specifying the
> conceptual side of the document. (I feel this point is overlooked by too
> many people.) So you specify something is a <Function> of a <Parameter> or
> whatever.
>
> Hugo.

Well, linuxdoc can handle it if you're willing to give up the use
italics within code.  For this you use a <tscreen><verb> environment
for the code sections.  It will both indent and use typewriter font.
Linuxdoc *does* have fonts but you can't use them within a <code> or
<verb> environment.  I was able to get italics by avoiding such
environments by putting <newline> after each line.  But then I couldn't
get the indentation.

So while linuxdoc can't quite handle all this complexity, it can
handle something a little less complex.

                                David Lawyer