Re: Open Document Environment (ODE)

On Jan 9, 12:01pm, <dave@lafn.org> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Open Document Environment (ODE)
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2000 at 01:05:21AM -0800, Aaron Turner wrote:
> >
> > 7a) Local/LAN/WAN retrieval is going to be hard.  To build a scalable
> > infrastructure like this is a huge effort.
>
> I don't understand this.  By local you must mean that the info is on
> your local PC.
> Thus we now have methods of searching Linux documentation locally
> but it's very crude.  Should not all this be expanded and improved on?
>
> [Regarding advanced information retrieval tools]
> > Realize that 99.99% of the people will never install it locally and
> > probably about 98% will not install it on their LAN.
>
> Doesn't it depend on the effort needed to install it?  If it's easy to
> install and comes with most distributions then I would expect it to be
> used a lot.  It's true that you can have a better system on-line but
> there's the cost of more traffic on the internet.  This traffic cost
> is much less on a local system (LAN or PC-bus).  Both advanced on-line
> and simpler local info search systems are needed.

Exactly. It should be done in such a way so that (if desired) an
after install operation would update any necessary structures/files
and indices with the content resources that were just installed.
This makes it virtually)transparent to the end-user.

Plus your help system(s) could utilize these local structures through a
common API layer (which Aaron talked about in a previous message).

regards,

--
Greg Ferguson     - s/w engr / mtlhd         | gferg@sgi.com
SGI Tech Pubs     - http://techpubs.sgi.com  | 410-785-2334