Re: alpha sorting

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Sandy Harris wrote:

> Guylhem Aznar wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 02:02:25AM -0800, Matthew Wilson wrote:
> > > what's more standard than alphabetical?
> >
> > The ls and unix way of sorting.

We're sorting for people, not for computers :).

> I'm approaching 20 years of Unix use, and in many places I detest
> case-insensitive crap. DOS filenames and SuSE's default settings
> for pattern-matching in their 'vi' clone leap to mind.

I like that feature of SuSE :). For text searching that's usually what I
want. For filenames it's one of the most stupid things ever concocted!

> Here, however, I think Guyhelm is completely wrong.
>
> Sort the names alphabetically, case-insensitive. That will be easier
> for most users, including long-time Unix users.

I mentioned the dictionary reference because I believe that's the proper
grammatical manner to sort. That's the type of sort we're producing,
IMO. I think it also leads to less brain cycles needed to find the sought
after subject.

ciao,

der.hans
--