Re: what to do about plagiarizing

Gerard Beekmans <glb@dds.nl> wrote:

> I have strong suspicions and evidence that somebody used big parts of
> the LFS-HOWTO I wrote on his website (to be more specific: almost that
> entire website looks like almost a copy of the HOWTO in the key parts).
> Naturally, the HOWTO mentions that the HOWTO is copyrighted under LDP
> copyright & licence policies.
>
> I've emailed this person about this and asked what is going on. In him
> and I can't something out, is there anything that can be done about it?
> I know the license allows redistribution and such, but I can't find
> anything about plagiarizing.

I've faced something like this in the past: someone copied a FAQ I
wrote, after removing all the information identifying me as the author.

My feeling is that it's permitted, morally and legally, to copy and
re-distribute FAQs, How-Tos, and similar documents, but that it's
improper to remove the information identifying the author or to claim
to have written them oneself.

If someone copied your How-To on his WWW site, claiming or implying
that he wrote it himself, I'd complain to him and to his ISP if
necessary.

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>, Ottawa, Canada
Francais / English / Esperanto