General comments and suggestions

Some thoughts, bear with me if I am saying something
silly obvious or already done. I've been away for a awhile and
can't read all the old posts (now if we had a meta search... :-) )

        1) The LDP site needs a simple "by topic" index for the HOWTOs.
           Eg:

                Hardware
                   CPU
                        Alpha
                   Laptops
                        4mb
                   CDs
                      CDROM
                   Disks
                      IDE
                      ZIP
                      SCSI
                   Modems
                        Cable
                   Network
                   Mice
                        Busmouse
                   Graphics
                        3dfx

                Linux (System)
                   Booting
                        Book Disk
                        Boot Prompt
                   Network
                        Routing
                        AX-25
                   Graphics

                Applications
                   AI
                   Benchmarks

                Languages
                   Assembler
                   C++...

                Human Languages
                   Belgian

                Here there are several top levels
                there could be one or two more. I'm happy to do this
                manually but I think it would be better if we
                used the meta-data abilities of SGML/XML to add
                a couple of entities like <keyword> (I defer to those
                who know better) to each document.
                It would only take a couple of hours to do this for all
                the doucments and it would be done for all time.
                Then all we do is write a simple perl script (etc)
                (eg using associative arrays). We could do a full
                permuted index quite simply (any maybe that should be
                an option) but for the main web page we might just
                limit it to a few well chosen categories.

        2)

        Hmmm bedtime, 2) etc will have to wait...

        Question: I'm getting old :-) and would like a "nice"
                SGML environment - ie one that deals in SGML DocBook
                structures but has some WYSI_Approx_WYG to make
                the structure stand out rather than the syntax.
                Lyx sounds like it partially fits the requirements
                but it appears not to do DocBook properly (???)

                The thought of emacs doesn't wildly enthuse me.
                Should I be sitting down and writing a GUI XML/Docbook
                editor for us all, or should I go and *shock horror* buy
                one for myself or is there something in the works
                already that someone knows of ?

                Comments appreciated.

        regards

                Kim

        P.S. M$ Word has an SGML output translator called SGML
                 Author 1.2. It isn't cheap (around USD500) but I
                thought some might like to know. No I don't like
                word but a lot of tech docs are written in it because
                that's what corporate IT depts impose on tech depts.

                I might be getting at least an eval copy of this.
                If someone wants any .doc -> .sgml conversions
                (eg Security guide) let me know and I'll see what I
                can do.

--
        Kim Lester

        Senior Engineer,