screen not formatting properly in text output.

I can't get my screen stuff to output properly, and it's quite important
that it does.  I have markup that says

     <para>The easiest way is to check what's in
<filename>/proc/mdstat</filename>.  Here's a sample from a 2.2.x kernel,
<emphasis>with</emphasis> the RAID patches applied.

      <screen format="linespecific">

[gleblanc@grego1 gleblanc]$ cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid5] [translucent]
read_ahead not set
unused devices: &lt;none&gt;
[gleblanc@grego1 gleblanc]$

      </screen>

Which, via sgmltools -b txt Linux-RAID-FAQ.sgml yeilds

   The easiest way is to check what's in /proc/mdstat. Here's a sample
   from a 2.2.x kernel, with the RAID patches applied.
[gleblanc@grego1 gleblanc]$ cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid5] [translucent]
read_ahead not set
unused devices: <none>
[gleblanc@grego1 gleblanc]$

I get extra blank lines at the end, but I want that offset by 1 line at the
top, and 1 at the bottom, not 0 at the top and 3 at the bottom.  Is this a
bug, or what?
        Greg