Re: Caution: Newbie online.

Nelson Ingersoll wrote:

> Howdy,
>
>     I'm relatively new Linux though not new to computers or programming.  I
> am curious what sort of tasks LDP might need done.  Don't know if I'm a
> good fit; but, heck I'll never know nor will LDP, if I don't try.
>
>     I'll do anything but double park.  No job is too menial if it helps me
> learn the ropes and figure out who's who, what's what, and where Carrier is
> and why they keep telling him, "No!".  I have a moderate amount of free
> time, Caldera's OpenLinux 2.3, a dial up 56K ISP, a college degree (I think
> that's what it says any way), and at least three neurons, at last count,
> which still function.
>
>     Any thoughts from anyone where I might focus my waning years of talent
> for the benefit of Linux?  (Gawd, you opened yourself up there Mac!)

This brings up an interesting topic: should we make (and maintain!) an
LDP TODO list? I feel so, and here is my list of what I feel is missing:

 - a script to extract all URLs from each HOWTO, and check each for
  link rot, which is more rampant than ever. As we write the HOWTOs
  in SGML, this should be a SMOP (Small Matter of Programming), right?
  Have a look at these:
        http://www.useit.com/alertbox/980614.html
        http://starship.python.net/crew/marduk/linbot/
  Finding redirection would be very useful too. This could benefit
  the documentation community at large.
  Using this list to create a bookmark.html file would be
  a bonus.

 - a script to extract the abstract of a HOWTO into a stub man page

 - writing a small intro (LDP) man page in *roff about the LDP.

 - then there are many documents that are no longer maintained,
  several of which are still of use. The SCSI HOWTO is one example.

Regards,
   Stein Gjoen