SGML tools aren't so great

Gary Preckshot <garrell@inreach.com> wrote:
> Kevin Turner is the only one who correctly perceived that I
> was objecting to having to learn SGML just to write a doc.

Please explain what "just to write a doc" means here, to you.
I am serious.

I have no real interest in the ongoing SGML-vs-not-SGML debate.
But I'm genuinely confused and mystified by the (occasionally expressed)
implication that writing and maintaining documentation really isn't
much effort.  This seems to be an assumption underlying a lot of
this debate, and I just don't get it.

Thanks,
-Tom