Re: DocBook Walkthrough?

On Tue, 16 May 2000 pac1@tiac.net wrote:

> There are  13 kinds of tasks I've found so far.
>
> 1. Installing a distribution
> 2. Obtaining generic linux user skills
> 3. Building a kernel
> 4. Hardware administration
> 5. User Administration and Security

I see these as two different topics. Another topic of the same vein that
isn't covered is system administration. I'm glad you partitioned hardware
administration off as it's own major topic :).

I teach a sys_adm class (which is why I'm a week behind in LDP mail this
time :) and am starting to work on the material to teach from. While user
and system administration can be combined (I do in the class), they can
also be very distinct. User admin is more for workstation (e.g. desktop)
support and shell accounts. I set system administration as being more
backend stuff, e.g. server and networking administration. In fact, after
seeing your "hardware admin" term, I'm wanting to change our courses to be
"install and hardware admin" and "software and system admin". I don't like
that second title, but I'm sure I can work out something that gets the
idea across as well sounding sexy. Also, we don't cover much as far as
software packages go (at this point)....

Security, however, is definitely its own topic. I don't cover it in my
class. Basics, yes, get covered. I explain telnet, then tell them not to
use it and show them ssh. After that I use sniffit to show them why to not
use telnet :).

True security should be its own topic as should be kernel and system
tuning. I think this holds true for LDP documentation as well as it does
for my class.

Good work with the classifications. I actually think this type of thing
might greatly help us with organization of materials and with writing for
the correct audiences. An example from a couple of weeks ago was a HOWTO
HOWTO for newbies and a HOWTO HOWTO for those experienced with SGML and
Docbook...

> 6  Obtaining generic package building and installing skills
> 7. Choosing packages to build and install
>
> For each chosen package:
> 8.   Building the package
> 9.   Installing the package
> 10 Administering and securing the package
> 11. Using the package
> 12. Creating and maintaining the programming envirionment
> 13. Creating, maintaining and using the programming environment for a specific
> package
>

> There are 6 levels of expertise related to things a Linux person may try to do.

Have you looked at any of the certification projects? I don't like
certification (MCSE is such a bad joke that I don't think I can ever take
anything with "certification" in the title serious), but what you list
here is similar. If we go with something like this, we might try to either
work to match the track for the certifications or try to match the sys_adm
levels as defined by SAGE (of USENIX).

ciao,

der.hans
--