[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
printing on Slackware Linux 7.0
- To: <>
- Subject: printing on Slackware Linux 7.0
- From: "Tan Gao" <>
- Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 18:29:52 -0600
- Resent-Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 20:30:51 -0400 (EDT)
- Resent-Message-ID: <WdOqWC.A.t9G.10FN5@murphy>
I'm new to Linux and I've installed Slackware Linux 7.0 on a AMD 700 machine with fast ethernet connections. I tried to print remotely but encountered various difficulties.
1. I went to "/etc" and modified the file "printcap". here is what I added:
#typical remote printer entry
:lp=rm=(printer IP address goes here):sd=/var/spool/lpd/myprinter:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:
2. I tried to print from both Netscape and regular Linux command window and the errors are various:
a.) from Netscape--> "lpr: connect: Connection refused; jobs queued, but cannot start daemon"
b.) from regular window, after I type in "lpr -Pmyprinter filename", there is no immediate error. but when I type "lpq", here is the output:
"No Daemon present
Rank Owner Job Files
1st root 10 filename"
sometimes, it doesn't even display the filename, but instead using "(standard input).
c.)for the few times that the printer did do something, the printouts are all blank pages with no constent. the last page did give me the user name, machine name and the data like that...
Thank you for all your attention and hopefully, someone has had experience with this type of problems.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to email@example.com
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org