Re: The Linux Kernel Guide

>>>>> "b" == billwear  <billwear@mindspring.com> writes:

    b> Yep, I'd love to help.  Know the kernels pretty well, don't
    b> know the guide you mention (link?).

My mailreader lost the context for this message, but if you are
thinking of updating the LKHG (Linux Kernel Hacker's Guide) or the
Linux Kernel Guide, you can find both on the spiffy new search page at
http://www.linuxdoc.org.

Both of these guides _desperately_ need a champion, and considering
all metrics such as the number of kernel config options having grown
from only 403 in 2.2 to well over 1300 in 2.4 (lines of code has also
tripled since 2.2), it is going to take a champion with many, many
months of free time on their hands.

You may also mean the Documentation/DocBook project now part of the
2.4 sources.  This is a brave and noble project to self-document the
kernel APIs and where you may add new documents at your leisure, but
where modifying the sources to accommodate the refentry generator is
going to require commenting co-operation from the kernel hackers (good
luck, honestly), then you don't need a URL, you just need a 2.4
tarball from ftp.kernel.org

If, on the other hand, you mean the collaborative opensource OPL book
on the 2.4 kernel _and_ you also happen to know the new 2.4 sources
better than you know your own sister/daughter/wife/girlfriend, then a
shameless self plug is in order and the URL you want is
http://kernelbook.sourceforge.net

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@linux.ca>: office voice/fax: 01 519 4222723
T(C)Inc Business Innovations through Open Source http://www.teledyn.com