Re: NetHelp for HOWTOs

Greg Ferguson wrote:

> On Feb 24,  9:48pm, Stein Gjoen wrote:
> > Subject: Re: NetHelp for HOWTOs

[snip]

> > All the templates, javascrips and java programs are open
> > so I suspect that some kind of porting would be possible.
> > Looking at Mozilla I find they too have NetHelp support
> > so the (semi-?) proprietariness doesn't worry me that much.
>
> ehhh...I'd be careful about that. From:
> http://home.netscape.com/eng/help/details/details.htm
>
>    What does it cost?  Do I need to license Navigator?
>
>    NetHelp, including the API, sample code, and SDK, is free. Much of
>    NetHelp's functionality is already built in to Netscape Navigator.
>    Sample code used to hook up native applications may be used in your
>    product and distributed without a licensing fee. Graphic files, such
>    as the buttons used in the SDK's sample help system, can be reused
>    without a licensing fee.

To me, a non expert, it looks like this implies someone can
make a free alternative that is fully compatible with the
NetHelp files of the type I distrinuted.

>    Since Navigator is currently the only browser that supports the level
>    of JavaScript needed to run NetHelp, Navigator is required. Bundling
>    Navigator with your product requires a licensing fee.

I am not sure this is much of a problems. Some distributions
include Navigator while others such as Debian that are very
strict on using free software, makes installation scripts that
allows install files integrate well with the rest of the system.

I am not sure what the status of Mozilla is or how it will be
when it matures. Hopefully it would be possible to bundle with
distributions. Does anyone know?

I'd also like to see some feedback on the user interface.
Also, does anyone know of an alternative browser that can
ofer similar features?

Regards,
   Stein Gjoen