Re: HTML HOWTOs and Re: CD edition

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 05:40:02PM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:
> There are many sites that take our HTML HOWTOs and directly put them
> on the Internet.  They are not mirror sites and the collection is
> usually out-of-date (in some cases a few years out-of-date).  Some of
> them have some sort of advertising (or links to advertising).  Many of
> these sites may do more harm than good especially since people get
> stale versions.

I've encountered more than my fair share of these. I agree the
sites with outdated docs can do more harm than good. ("What, Linux
doesn't support USB?!", etc).

I think the best way to combat this is to simply recommend in the HOWTO
HOWTO or wherever that all LDP submissions have a section or paragraph
which state where to find the latest versions of the document.  This
includes both the location at LDP and any distribution site of the
document author.

I don't think there will be a way to stop someone or some organization
from mirroring the documents entirely, and we may never get all those
old mirror sites to update or take down their files, so let's look at
all our docs and make sure a user who stumbles upon a future outdated
mirror will know where to go for recent info.

I'll volunteer to do a quick audit of the LDP docs for such an info
section if nobody else wants to.

-Robb

- Robert S. Dubinski, Comp. Systems Tech for MSCS Dept, Marquette University -
-  Email me: tech@mscs.mu.edu  Home page at: http://www.mscs.mu.edu/~tech    -