Re: Voila! A compromise!

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 03:49:52PM -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
> The LDP could also segregate the non-free documents and start welcoming
> even more of them, but it makes no sense to consider that.

I don't see why not; I can see how you might disagree with accepting
non-free documents, but if you take that as a "given" for a moment,
why does segregating them make no sense?

The benefit of segregation, as I see it, is that people are then given a
choice. If they choose to stick to the principles of freedom, it is easy
and convenient to do so. If they choose instead to ignore those principles,
they are offered the full range of documents.

My own personal point of view is that the best thing would be for the
LDP to /encourage/ new authors to choose a fully free license if they
had no overwhelming reason not to, while also accepting less free
documents if that is the authors decision.

--
  jason@compsoc.man.ac.uk          khendon@compsoc.man.ac.uk
  secretary@compsoc.man.ac.uk      admin@compsoc.org.uk